The National Capital Regional Transport Corporation (NCRTC), the nodal agency executing first RRTS project of the country has recently finalized procurement of rolling stock of Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor under Make in India initiative of the Government of India. The Trainsets will be manufactured by Bombardier Transportation India Private Limited in their Savli plant in Gujarat.
Against the Make in India bid requirement of at least 75% quantity to be mandatorily manufactured in India and purchase preference to manufacturers using more than 50% local content, the winning bid offered to manufacture 100% of the rolling stock in Savli, Gujarat, using 83% local content.
- Entire rolling stock for Delhi-Ghaziabad-Meerut RRTS corridor will be manufactured in India, marking 100% local manufacturing
- The high-speed aerodynamic Trainsets will be self-propelled on electric traction
- As per the terms, the delivery of the rolling stock will start in 2022. The broad scope of work includes design, manufacture, supply, testing, and commissioning of:
– 30 Trainsets of 6 cars each for operating regional transit services
– 10 Train sets of 3 cars each for operating local Meerut transit services
- The RRTS rolling stock will be first of its kind in India with a design speed of 180 kmph.
- The RRTS train will be designed keeping in mind high-acceleration and high-deceleration that the train needs to undergo given the maximum operational speed of 160kmph and stations at every 5-10km.
- The train will have automatic plug-in type doors reducing air-friction and noise.
- A key feature of the RRTS is interoperability of all its priority corridors which facilitates seamless commuter movement across the corridors without the hassle of changing the trains. The Trainsets will be operated with ETCS Level 2 signalling system, which is being used in India for the first time. ETCS Level -2 signalling system will not only facilitate interoperability but will also ensure train movement at quick frequencies, thus reducing the waiting time for passengers.
- Keeping the commuter convenience in mind, the 3.2 meter wide RRTS trains will have 2 by 2 transverse seating arrangement like Shatabdi Express besides comfortable standing space.
- Enough space for luggage, CCTV cameras, and other modern amenities will mark other features of the train.
- The air-conditioned RRTS trains will have the economy as well as business class (one coach per train) along with one coach reserved for women passengers.