UP Metro’s MD Shri Kumar Keshav has said that Kanpur Metro has been gradually shifting towards the system installation phase from the phase of civil construction.
The civil construction of the 9 KMs long Priority Corridor between IIT and Motijheel is under progress in Kanpur with quite a fine pace. Shri Deepak Kumar, Principal Secretary, Housing & Urban Planning Department, GoUP took visit of the project on 3rd April 2021, where Dr. Rajshekhar, Divisional Commissioner, Kanpur Division and Shri Kumar Keshav, Managing Director, UPMRCL accompanied him alongwith other senior officials of UP Metro.
While briefing the GoUP officials about the project, Shri Keshav said, “now the Kanpur Metro Project has been gradually shifting from the ‘civil’ phase to the ‘system’ phase, which means the installation of various crucial systems for train operation like traction & signaling etc. will commence soon.”
Metro Depot to Be Equipped With ‘Depot Machinery & Plant’ in July
While briefing the Media in the Lakhanpur Casting Yard, Shri Keshav said that while following the target of trial run on the Priority Corridor by 30th November 2021, UP Metro is executing the civil works with rapid pace both at the viaduct and the Polytechnic Metro Depot and the company has fixed the target of installing the 7 Major and crucial machines of the ‘Depot Machinery & Plant System’ by the end of July this year, so that all the necessary arrangements can be put in place for welcoming the very first Metro train set in the coming September.
The description of these 7 machines is as follows:
1. Fully Automatic CNC Under Floor Pit Wheel Lathe Machine (for rail wheel turning)
2. Fully Automatic Synchronized Pit Jack Machine (for lifting and lowering of coaches for maintenance)
3. Fully Automatic Synchronized Mobile Jack (Same function as of Pit Jack Machine but can be moved from one place to another)
4. Bogie Turn Table (for shifting bogies from one track to other track)
5. Automatic Train Washing Plant (For automatic washing of Metro coaches)
6. Electric Bogie Shunter (for shunting of Metro trains from one track to another)
7. Re-railing & Rescue Vehicle (In case Metro coach derails on main line or in depot, it is used to keep the coach back on track)
Expressing satisfaction over the progress of civil works in Kanpur, Principal Secretary Mr. Deepak Kumar said, “Kanpur Metro is an ambitious project of the Central Government and the State Government, which is being executed by Uttar Pradesh Metro Rail Corporation Ltd. (UPMRC) in a planned and timely manner. Considering the pace of work, I am quite assured that we will be able to provide Metro services to the Kanpurites within the stipulated time frame. Metro Projects are being buit across the country but Kanpur Metro is among the fastest ones.”