A dedicated skywalk, constructed by DMRC in collaboration with Northern Railway, for providing seamless connectivity between the Ajmeri Gate side of the New Delhi Railway station and the adjacent New Delhi Metro stations on Yellow Line and Airport Express Line was opened for passenger use from 10 AM on Saturday, the 5th of March, 2022.
This newly constructed Skywalk is an extension of the foot over bridge (FOB) inside the railway station and connects the Ajmeri Gate Side of the station with the New Delhi Metro station as well as the multilevel parking across Bhavbhuti Marg through multiple entry and exit points.
The main highlights of this skywalk are as follows:
- The skywalk is 242 meters long.
- This dedicated skywalk will be of great benefit to provide seamless connectivity between one of the busiest hubs of New Delhi Railway station and Metro stations of New Delhi on Yellow Line and Airport Express Line.
- Apart from providing seamless connectivity, the skywalk will also help in streamlining the traffic flow on Ajmeri Gate side of the railway station.
- The Skywalk has been provided with escalators along with facilities such as CCTV surveillance cameras etc.
- The construction of this unique skywalk in a hub witnessing significant traffic, was a major engineering challenge including the disruptions posed due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- The structure had to be built above a functional underground Metro station just 3 metres below with major traffic movement on Bhavbhuti Marg. Also, the bridge had to be connected to two pre-existing building structures at the far ends ensuring minimum inconvenience to the people, infrastructure and other buildings nearby.